Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Sipz review

So Marc and I went out to eat at Sipz Vegetarian Fuzion Cafe last night, compliments of his great co-workers who gave him a gift certificate for his birthday. For those of you not familiar with Sipz, it's a mainly vegan restaurant in Clairemont Mesa. Actually, out of their rather extensive menu, there are only two or three items that aren't vegan (everything's vegetarian), which makes us wonder why they don't take the plunge and just make it fully vegan. Regardless, it's still got a huge vegan selection.

We ordered the Aloha Rollz and the Vegan Miso Soup to start with (although they brought the Vege BBQ Chicken first, even though Marc asked for it with his meal—we just laugh, because they always do that). The Aloha Rollz were delicious and the presentation was great too ("Aloha" was written in ceviche on the plate). The miso soup was chock full of seaweed and tofu and yummy, although not spectacular. Still, it's nice to go to a place that doesn't put fish stock in the miso soup! The Vege BBQ Chicken was good as always. It uses more of a sweet bbq sauce than a smoky one.

For our main meals, Marc got the Spicy Thai Fried Rice, his old standby. I do agree that this is one of the best dishes on the menu. I was torn, but ended up getting the Spicy Basil bowl with tofu, as I'm trying to cut down on wheat products and I'm sure the "chicken" is made with wheat gluten (although I didn't ask). I've decided that I really prefer the Cashew Chicken bowl, as there's something about the sauce in the Spicy Basil bowl that I don't love. Next time I'm going to try the new Teriyaki Tofu, which sounds really good.

I should have stopped there, but Marc ordered the chocolate chip cookies (which are very soft and sweet) and I wanted something sweet too, so I ordered a Refreshing Green Tea Boba with soy milk (you do have to specify as they carry real milk for the tea drinks). For those who may not know, Sipz actually started out as a small coffee/boba tea shop and then expanded to carry food. It was really uniquely tasty, as it had a very floral taste due to the jasmine tea used. I loved it, but unfortunately it made me so full, I couldn't even eat my complimentary fortune cookie!

The prices are quite reasonable and the service is efficient. Our food came really fast, and that is often the case there, even though it is usually fairly busy (it's a good thing they expanded the space a year or so ago). The lights are a little brighter than they need to be, but that's a minor point I suppose. All in all, it was a very enjoyable meal.

No comments: