Monday, March 31, 2008

Recommended Reading: "Committed" by Dan Mathews



I read this book about a year ago (thanks to a loan from my vegan friend Susannah!) and loved it so much that I immediately bought one for my vegan friend Jessica's birthday. She loved it too, so three out of three vegans give it a thumbs up! (That's pretty good statistically...)

So why am I only writing about it now? Well, because Dan Mathews came to San Diego and spoke at the Borders in Mission Valley last Monday night. Of course I went to see him (with Jessica), and finally bought my own copy of the book, which he graciously signed.

One of the things I loved about this book was that it spoke about a very serious topic in a light-hearted way. Sometimes it's easy to let the world get you down when you're an animal-lover, but Dan's memoirs are laugh-out-loud funny! As a matter of fact, I would recommend it even (or perhaps especially) to non-veg friends. It's also a great inside look at some of the workings of PETA, since he is the vice-president of the famous (and in some circles, infamous) organization.

Dan was just as charming and entertaining in person. He read from the book and then did a question/answer session, addressing each concern in a straight-forward way. He pointed out that the reason it may seem as though PETA goes overboard in some cases is this: for a non-profit organization to fight against huge corporations who won't stop at anything to save a buck (and have tons of money and power backing them), they have to really push to get things done for the sake of the animals.

Thanks to Dan and PETA for doing what they do! And to each of you for doing what you can ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was there too and bought a copy. I loved the book, laughed a ton. It's a great book for anyone who loves humor and/or memiors. I was inspired by Dans creativity to take what looks like a set back and turn it into an opportunity. I love books and animal people!