Monday, February 11, 2008

Vegan Zone

Last night, Marc and I went out to eat at Vegan Zone, a relatively new all vegan eatery in Pacific Beach. The place is small but comfortable and the decor is simple and modern with a Buddhism-inspired flair.

We started with our favorite appetizer, the Crispy Wontons. Even a non-vegetarian friend of mine fell in love with these when we went together. They have an imitation cream cheese inside and are served with a light sweet brown sauce. We also had the Sate, which consists of soy chicken served on skewers with a peanut sauce and some cucumber salad, as well as the Miso Soup, which tastes authentic.

Although I usually order the Spicy Fried Rice (which is delicious and includes fresh basil leaves fried until crispy), this time I decided to have the Rice Baked with Mushroom. I was not disappointed! The brown rice for all the dishes at Vegan Zone is the best I've ever tasted. It's hearty and flavorful, and when I asked about it I was told that it's a brown jasmine rice (which I can't find anywhere in it's uncooked form unfortunately). My dish also had pineapple chunks, peas, and soy chicken.

Marc has his favorite standby, the Katsu Bowl. This dish has crispy fried soy chicken cutlets, served on a bed of brown rice with katsu sauce and cabbage salad. I tried some too and it was quite good.

Although we didn't order it this time, their house special salad is refreshing and large, with alfalfa sprouts, avocado, onions, sunflower seeds, cucumbers and pine nuts. I like it best with the Peanut dressing, although the Italian dressing is good too. I've also enjoyed their side of Soy Fish, which while it may not taste like fish, has a nice light flavor and delicate texture that makes a good addition to the Spicy Fried Rice.

If I had to say anything was lacking at Vegan Zone, I would choose their desert selection. Although the rest of the menu is extensive, with sandwiches, wraps, pancakes, burritos, burgers and scrambles in addition to their Thai-inspired main courses, they only offer frozen sorbets and lychee for desert. It would be great if they added some vegan cakes and/or pastries, perhaps from Stephanie's Bakery (an all vegan bake shop in Ocean Beach).

Everything else about this place is great, including the service! The food is filling and flavorful enough to bring meat-eating friends as well, so check it out if you haven't yet, and enjoy your meal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! they have brown jasmine rice at Trader Joe's! In Philly anyway...

Anonymous said...

Hi Macoe! It's Teagen from the Meet-up!
Those wan ton's are one of the yummiest things ever, I've been there a dozen times and still havent tried 1/2 of the menu. The 'garden burger' is good, it's really a roasted vegetable sandwich but very good, I've had 1 or two things that were soso but I'm always ready to go back!