Monday, February 18, 2008

Stephanie's Bakery

Well, it's been a busy week and we didn't get a chance to go to our normal Sunday night dinner (we had two going away parties and then Marc had to work), nor to even make anything new, so I thought I'd write about Stephanie's Bakery, the place I mentioned in last week's blog.

Stephanie's Bakery is an all-vegan bakeshop located in Ocean Beach, San Diego. As well as being cruelty-free, they use almost all organic ingredients. Marc and I tried the Pesto Pizza there a couple months ago and we both agreed that not only was it the best vegan pizza we've had, but quite possibly the best pizza regardless (with perhaps the exception of New York pizza)! You must try it.

My vegetarian friend Elizabeth and I visited Stephanie's a few weeks ago, and enjoyed another delicious meal. I had the Caesar salad and a savory strudel (I believe it was broccoli and cheese) and both were very tasty. Elizabeth had the Classic Deli sandwich (which I had a bite of; it didn't taste like meat at all, but was still good, as long as you're not a meat-eater expecting that taste). I also had a sugar-sensitive (good for people with blood sugar issues) desert with a chocolate icing and cupcake-like bottom, which was sweet even without oodles of added sugar. I've tried their sweet Pumpkin Strudel as well, which was just the right amount of sweetness.

The service is very friendly both to humans and dogs (we each had our dog with us, so we sat at a table outside). Marc and I were happy to see some of Kung Food's former employees there when we went (oh, how we miss Kung Food!). As a matter of fact, all this talk about Stephanie's Bakery has made us crave their pizza, but unfortunately, they're closed today; be sure to check the site for hours and days before you go, because they change frequently and are limited to mostly daytime hours. As much as I wish they were open more often, I understand, as I believe they are more of a catering operation (great for wedding cakes!) than a traditional restaurant. However, with veg dining choices few and far between in SD, I would love to see them expand. Enjoy and tell them hello for us!

No comments: