Monday, June 9, 2008

So you want to go vegan?

Today, I got an email from a classmate, telling me that he and his wife want to try going vegan, and asking for any tips and advice on how to do it. So I thought I'd share these here, in case they can help others as well. Because this is a transcription of an actual email to my friend, you will probably see some things I've mentioned already in earlier posts. I'll always remember the advice my vegan friend Jessica gave me that gave me the confidence to try it: "It's not as hard as you think." If anyone else out there has tips they'd like to share, please add them in the comments.

The only supplement you will def. need (although you may need others based on individual needs), and which you cannot get from an animal-free diet, is B12. Marc and I like to get ours through taking Emergen-C, which are powder packets that make fizzy drinks with plenty of B12 and lots of other good stuff, such as Vit C, etc. They come in many flavors, and we take one a day (I like mine in the AM). This, coupled with the fact that I consume no dairy, has basically eliminated the common cold in our household (I've only gotten 2 in almost 5 years of eating vegan and taking this).

Earth Balance
is a delicious butter substitute, which bakes, fries, cooks, spreads and in all ways acts like real butter. It is GMO-free and non-hydrogenized. It comes in tubs, both regular and whipped, and the same company also makes a version called Soy Garden. All are vegan, but Smart Balance is not, just similar name, so be careful. Even many of my non-vegan friends use this because it's so good and so much healthier for you than butter or margarine.

Silk Soy creamer is great for coffee and tea, and we like rice milk for cereal. It's good to mix it up because you don't want to overdo it on the soy. For this same reason, although in the beginning you may find yourself eating a lot of tofu, try to go easy on it; it's a processed food and too much soy is not the best thing, although far less dangerous than meat.

Tofutti cheese slices are one of the only good vegan cheeses I've found; they melt and taste better melted than cold. I like the mozzarella flavored slices best. My craving for real cheese disappeared in about a month, and that was my last animal food craving. Also, after about a month of eating vegan, I found myself feeling more naturally full and satisfied after meals, whereas for the first few weeks I felt a little hungry, but it passed.

Wondering what to eat? Almost any recipe can be made vegan by leaving out the meat (perhaps substitute portabello mushrooms, seitan, or tofu), using Earth Balance where butter is called for, soy, rice or coconut milk instead of cow's milk, and EnerG egg replacer, which is a potato starch based powder that comes in a box and makes baking vegan a cinch. If you crave eggs, try scrambled tofu instead.

The best vegan mayonnaise is Vegenaise, by Follow Your Heart. Even when you lick the knife, it tastes just like regular mayo, but a little better (to me anyway).

Wondering where to eat out and what to get? Apart from actual veg or vegan restaurants, most of which can be found for any area on Happycow.net, Asian restaurants are the easiest, especially Japanese and Thai places. But you must always make it clear to your server that you're vegan and what that means as sometimes things that you wouldn't think have any animal products in them do (many places put a fish base in their miso soup for instance). Most pizza places will be happy to make you a pie sans cheese and load up the veggies, Italian food is a cinch due to the many pasta dishes and marinara or garlic and oil. Many places will be happy to accommodate you by leaving out or substituting the offending ingredient; after all, even Oprah is trying vegan now.

Avocados are filling, delicious and nutritious and great on sandwiches, salads or dips. Rice has been one of our staples; brown is best and wild rice is yummy, although I must admit, we eat far too much white rice. Just about all veggies are great, but go easy on the fruits, most of which are high in sugar and should not be eaten with other foods, since they can rot in the stomach (or so I've heard). They are fine as a treat, just don't go crazy with them. Juices are good too, but the same rule applies: heavy on the veggies, light on the fruits, and to get the full nutritional value, must be drank right after being made. Cucumbers, celery, beets, kale, and parsley are all great for juicing. Raw ginger is a nice addition. Nuts and nut butters are good, with almonds being one of the healthiest, and peanuts one of the least healthy.

There are many internet resources available; here are just a few:
http://www.tryveg.com/cfi/toc/
http://www.chooseveg.com/
http://www.veganoutreach.org/
http://vegweb.com/
http://www.vivausa.org/activistresources/guides/veganbasics1.htm
http://www.vegfamily.com/

Many of these offer free vegan start-up guides online or by mail. Good luck, let me know how it goes, and feel free to comment w/questions!

4 comments:

Kat said...

Just making sure you saw that Oprah is doing a 21-Day Vegan Cleanse!

Chef Tal Ronnen put together a bunch of recipes using vegan products, like Earth Balance.

You can check out her whole program & the recipes here:
http://www.oprah.com/foodhome/food/cleanse/recipes/recipes_scallopini.jhtml

Macoe said...

Hi Kat - thanks for the tip! I did note that in my previous post and I've been following her blog as well. Very exciting!

Unknown said...

if I could change one thing about going vegan it would be my dependence on soy. Soy is difficult to digest and it took me nearly two years to figure out! You eat more than you think with all those substitutes. Like you said, experiment with rice milk, but also nut milks, almond milk is yummy and choc-almond is a real treat. Hemp milk is amazing for your skin. I'd look for familiar favorites made without soy...rice cheese maybe? I ate too much soy and felt like a stuffed sausage for days. Today I'm soy-free, and feel pretty darn good.
just adding my two cents!

Christina-Bobina said...

Great tips Macoe!

I really like the Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet cheese best, but I use it sparingly. It melts too, and it's not hydrogenated like the tofutti singles slices. Tofutti makes really delicious Better than Cream Cheese, and Better then Sour Cream too, of which you can get non-hydrogenated versions...

Oh! One BIG helper for me when I quit eating dairy was instead I ate a lot of curries (Especially Coconut). For some reason it really helped me out with all the cheese cravings (which eventually went away).